Born and bred in Melbourne, Starward was inspired to create a spirit that reflects Its home town – from its culture to its famed ‘four seasons in a day’ temperature swings. It is a city surrounded by some of Australia’s leading wine regions – all within a day’s drive and is regarded as the microbrewing capital of Australia.
It seems obvious now that all the ingredients for a modern Australian whisky were close by, but in 2007, when we first started, the idea of an approachable, affordable Australian whisky – served neat or as a cocktail with food – was a big leap of faith.
While Australia had a well established small-scale ultra-premium whisky scene, Starward pioneered an affordable, approachable and distinctly Australian whisky exclusively matured in Australian wine barrels.
The result is Starward. A modern Australian whisky, elementally matured for three “Melbourne years,” that pushes the boundaries of what whisky can be.
Starward Old Fashioned Cocktail
A good Old Fashioned is notoriously difficult to get just right. Instead, we’ve put in the hard yards for you. This no fuss, new world take on a classic cocktail will let you indulge your tastebuds without having to play bartender all night.
Expertly crafted by our top Starward distillers and bartenders. We take our signature single malt and add house-made wattle seed and orange bitters and demerara sugar. The perfect mellow balance of spice with just a hint of sweetness.
Pour over ice with a twist of orange. With 10 serves in a bottle, it’s great at a BBQ with steak, sardines or chicken.SKU: STW05-NV00500-RTD
Starward Coffee Old Fashioned Cocktail
Coffee Old Fashioned is our take on a classic cocktail recipe, with a typically Melburnian caffeinated kick. We start with our award-winning whisky, aged in Melbourne’s variable weather in red wine barrels from world-class local wineries. Together with Mr Black’s delicious cold brew coffee liqueur and our distillery made orange bitters, we intended our rich, fruity whisky to shine in a cocktail. Taste this, and we rest our case.
Pour over ice with a twist of orange peel to garnish. Best served with chocolatey dessert or tiramisu. One word of warning though. Bring this to a party, and it might just steal the limelight.
- Nose : Intense coffee, vanilla with a hint of orange peel.
- Palate : Coffee forward followed by dark chocolate and cacao.
- Finish : Textural and rounding. Vanilla and light roasted coffee bean.
Starward Two Fold
Just like our hometown, Melbourne Australia, our Starward whiskies are versatile and a little different. Two-Fold is an approachable and proudly versatile whisky crafted to be enjoyed any way you like. We bring together local ingredients and Australian red wine barrels, to make the epitome of a distinctly Australian spirit. This double grain whisky, made from Australian barley (for depth) and wheat (for aromatic dry flavour), is a whisky made to be mixed, spritzed, or shaken.
- Nose : Bright red berries coated in buttery vanilla spice.
- Palate : Imagine a smooth, rich caramel dessert balanced by tropical fruit.
- Finish : Delicate and long. A delicious, dry finish from a faded sweetness.
Nova is Starward’s signature single malt whisky which has received several global awards, but the real gold is in the bottle. This whisky is fully matured in Australian red wine barrels from wineries local to our distillery. These wineries make the great Australian shiraz, cabernet and pinot noir wines.
With our distillery located within a day’s drive to Australia’s most famed wine regions, we often receive many of our barrels within hours of being emptied. This allows us to ‘wet fill’ our barrels with new make spirit to access as much of the wine’s fruit character as possible. The result is a deliciously balanced and bold whisky made for sharing and mixing.
- Nose : Bright flavours of red berries and orchard fruit and coated them in soft oak spice.
- Palate : Imagine a rich red berry pudding covered in vanilla, caramel and spice.
- Finish : Balanced and long. The sweetness fades and the delicious flavour goes on.
Solera was our very first Starward whisky. A twice distilled single malt whisky. We ferment Australian malted barley with brewers’ yeast for an extra flavourful craft finish. Solera is fully matured in carefully selected Apera casks, an Australian fortified wine that’s similar to Sherry. Made using the traditional solera process means there is a drop of our very first whisky in every bottle. This whisky is a bona fide Starward Australian take on a traditional whisky.
- Nose : Bright tropical and orchard fruits, caramel and vanilla.
- Palate : Toasty caramel and creme brûlée, banana, figs and sweet spice.
- Finish : Juicy and full with a lingering dry spice.
Fortis meaning ‘brave, bold’, is a full bodied, full flavoured whisky that celebrates local Australian ingredients. Bottled at a higher ABV of 50% and non-chill filtered, this whisky
is fully matured in 100% American oak red wine barrels, predominately sourced from the Barossa Valley.
These barrels, which previously held big Australian bold reds like cabernet and shiraz, offer a fuller and richer mouthfeel to this single malt whisky. Starward Fortis is blended in batches, meaning each batch will be unique but will maintain the core flavour profile and intensity.
- Nose : Very forward aromas of Madagascan vanilla pods, rich toasted American oak, blackberry jam, raisins, caramelised fig, raw sugar and over ripe plums.
- Palate : Rich and full bodied, upfront vanillin, quince paste, Muscadelle raisins, chocolate ganache, cinnamon and baked banana bread.
- Finish : Viscous and long. It really captures the whole palate and balances well with a finish of baking spices from the oak and ripe figs and raisins.
Dolce, a single, limited release, is a melding of juicy wine and oak characters with a flourish of sweet ‘Sicilian’ notes; marshmallow and cola. A twice distilled single malt spirit. Made with Australian barley and brewers’ yeast for extra flavour. This Single Malt Australian Whisky was matured in Australian red wine barrels and then finished in barrels that held an Australian interpretation of a Sicilian Dessert Wine.
It is the newest release from the Starward Projects, a program where distillers get to experiment with different whiskies and create flavour forward and unique expressions. That is why Dolce is unlike any released before. Intriguing marshmallow and cola characters melding with the Starward stamp of red wine barrel maturation, it is an embodiment of the Italian word for sweet; Dolce. This one’s a stunning straight sipper, especially with a cheeseboard, after dinner or just as your dessert!
- Nose : Dried fruits, toasted marshmallows and marzipan.
- Palate : Initial sweetness on the front palate, rich dried fruits, brown sugar, cola and toasted marshmallows.
- Finish : Palate is viscous, caramelised but enough tannin leaving a well-balance finish.
Starward Ginger Beer Cask #6
Starward Ginger Beer Cask is back, our most popular and sought after Starward Project to date. Now in its sixth release, this delicious single malt whisky is more expressive than ever and the team’s most experimental to date. The ginger beer recipe is a closely guarded secret by the distillery production team but includes huge amounts of ginger, lemongrass and citrus peel. The ginger beer was brewed inhouse and aged in EX Starward whisky barrels for 6 months before being disgorged. Our red wine and Apera casks were blended together before being finished in the ginger beer casks for over a further 6 months and bottled. Loaded with citrus peel and spicy ginger, it’s a zesty little number with aromas of dark chocolate and orange, with a palate of fiery ginger, fresh vanilla, and pineapple.
- Nose : Ginger, orange and dark chocolate.
- Palate : Strong spicy ginger, fresh vanilla and pineapple, balanced by sweet raisins and fig.
- Finish : A big, warming mouthfeel with candied ginger and citrus.
Starward Whisky has fused the new world Australian way with old world Scottish expertise to craft UNEXPEATED, a new red wine barrel aged Australian single malt whisky, finished in peated whisky-drenched barrels from the finest distilleries in Islay, Scotland. For the first time, whisky drinkers will taste coastal, peaty, smoky flavour in Starward’s signature fruit-forward whisky. Now that’s UNEXPEATED!
Our juicy, tropical Starward flavours have taken on peat smoke character, in this latest release. On your tongue, subtle sweet peat melds with red-wine-barrel red berries and sticky golden peaches. You’ll discover coastal peat in the aroma and a lingering smouldering dry finish too.
- Nose : Tropical fruits, toasted oak and a hint of sweet peat.
- Palate : Ripe red berries, coastal peat smoke, yellow peaches and cocoa nibs.
- Finish : Oak slowly dries the palate, with a long peated finish after.