Glenglassaugh Distillery, at the east end of the beautiful Sandend Bay, was founded by Col. James Moir in 1875. He quickly established a reputation for making a quality whisky and the company prospered.
He ran the distillery with his two nephews until 1892, when Glenglassaugh was purchased by Highland Distillers. After being completely re-built in 1960, the distillery continued to produce whisky until 1986 when it was mothballed.
The distillery sat silent for over 20 years until it was purchased by a group of investors and started production again in December 2008. In 2013, the BenRiach Distillery Company took over Glenglassaugh distillery with the intention to bring this iconic distillery fully back to life by giving it the investment, commitment and care it deserves.
Glenglassaugh is produced using the highest quality of Scottish barley and traditional distilling methods, our key focus being on quality. While many distilleries have become highly automated, here at Glenglassaugh our spirit is still handcrafted by a small, highly skilled team dedicated to creating the highest quality product. Only the finest casks are selected to slowly mature our precious spirit in our coastal warehouses until it is ready.
Promotion, Scotch, Whisky
The Revival is the first expression released from Glenglassaugh distillery after being mothballed for more than 20 years. The Glenglassaugh Revival has been matured in a balanced mix of ex-red wine and fresh bourbon casks, vatted and re-racked for double maturation in rich sherry casks. Bottled at 46%, non-chill filtered and of natural colour.
- Colour : Copper
- Nose : Sweet caramel and toffee with notes of nutty sherry, milk chocolate and honey. Ripe plums, red berries and oranges. Caramelised sugar and earthy, charred oak.
- Palate : Sweet, rounded and creamy. Oranges, plums, cherries and walnuts, chocolate, honey-mead, sherry and soft, spiced oak.
Glenglassaugh Evolution is created by maturing the whisky in a unique combination of the finest hand-picked ex-Tennessee first-fill whiskey barrels. This expression shows great depth of character and finesse, a harmonious combination of whisky and oak. Bottled at 50%, natural colour and non-chill filtered.
- Colour : Crisp harvest gold
- Nose : Luscious combination of sweet barley, delicate pineapple and waves of soft buttery vanilla. Deeper oak spices and caramelised pear develop.
- Palate : Robust, white peppery oak floods through crisp green apple and freshly cracked barley. A gentle salted caramel emerges alongside hints of ripe banana and fruit salad syrup.
At Glenglassaugh, we also produce a very limited quantity of whisky using richly peated malted barley as the cereal varietal. Glenglassaugh ‘Torfa’, with its peaty, phenolic nature, is a unique expression, and is quite different to the usual style of whisky produced in the Highlands.
- Colour : Gleaming yellow gold
- Nose : Vivid, sweet, sooty campfire smoke and sea-air infuses zest of lime, apricot jam and ripe soft fruits; all gently warmed by hints of stem ginger and cracked black pepper.
- Palate : An eloquent, sweet coastal pear smoke engulfs candied peel over melon, pineapple and roasted red apples. Oat biscuits, hints of heather honey and a gentle cigar box spice combines to give a terrific balance to the expressive smoke character.
Glenglassaugh 1983 28 Year Old Master Distillers’ Selection
Glenglassaugh 1983 28 Year Old Master Distillers’ Selection Single Malt Scotch Whisky Matured in sherry wood, bottled 2011, one of 390 bottles.
The Glenglassaugh distillery has had a turbulent history opening and closing no less than 7 times in 125 years. Always popular with blenders, single malt releases were limited for most of its very irregular working life. Currently owned by the BenRiach Distillery Company, who purchased the distillery in 2013, the distillery’s focus is now firMLy on the single malt market.
- Distilled : 1985
- Bottled : 2011
- Age : 28 years old
- Cask Type : Sherry Cask
- Cask Number :
- 49.8% ABV / 70cl
- Bottle Number : One of only 390 bottles released
Glenglassaugh 30 Year Old
The first expression to be released by the new owners, this is a rich and complex whisky which has been matured for over 30 years in our coastal warehouses. Bottled at 42%, this is a refined single malt with elegant sherry cask characteristics complimented by luscious fruits and oak spice.
- Colour : Amber
- Nose : Rich, complex and full with luxurious tropical fruits of peach, mango and banana, complimented with sultanas, sherry and gentle oak spice.
- Palate : Sweet and soft with near perfection of fruit; mango, orange, figs and sweet sultanas, following by a wave of sherry, toffee and ginger oak spice.
Glenglassaugh Single Cask 38 Years 1978 Cask 2343 Batch 3 Pedro Ximenez
Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon
- Colour : Rich polished red wood
- Nose : Gentle cedar wood, honeycomb, red summer fruits and a hint of rich Marmalade
- Palate : Fresh red grape, ripe gooseberry, a dusting of muscovado sugar and delicate orange blossom.
Promotion, Scotch, Whisky
Glenglassaugh Single Cask 40 Years 1978 Cask 1 SEA Edition
Since 1875, Glenglassaugh distillery has sat quietly on the edge of the picturesque Sandend Bay, breathing in the North Sea air which flows through its warehouses and invigorates its sweet Highland spirit with notes of the sea. Silent for a period of more than 20 years, the distillery was re-awakened in 2008 and its stills brought back to life. Unearthed from the coastal warehouses, a rare collection of vintage casks were discovered from before the distillery fell quiet.
These forgotten whiskies can now be experienced as part of our Glenglassaugh rare cask series. Glenglassaugh rare casks are a discovery to be made, each cask telling its own story. All casks are bottled without chill filtration, for natural character, with the pure colour drawn entirely from the wood of the cask.
This is the first single cask that Glenglassaugh’s Master Blender, Dr Rachel Barrie has chosen to be bottled for South East Asia.
Colour of walnut wood. On the nose, you get cherry brandy and caramelized orange with cassis and dark chocolate. On the palate, heather honey, orange and lemon sugar syrup with pineapple cream, cherry cake and lingering currants.
There is only 524 bottles available for South East Asia.SKU: GGS17-NV00700-WS
Glenglassaugh 40 Year Old
This is an outstanding representation of this rare and enduring Highland single malt. Matured for over 40 years, this rich whisky has an abundance of of sweet tropical fruits and sophisticated sherry characteristics. Bottled at 42.5%ABV, non-chill filtered and at natural colour, this unique expression is full of character and complexity.
- Colour : Deep gold.
- Nose : An abundance of sweet syrupy tropical fruits; banana, pineapple and mango in perfect harmony with gentle Oloroso sherry.
- Palate : Sweet, rich, syrupy and complex. Oloroso sherry, toffee apples, mango and banana sit beautifully in the mouth alongside ginger and cocoa spice.
Glenglassaugh Single Cask 41 Years 1975 Cask 1277-1 Batch 3 Sauternes
- Colour : Rich gold
- Nose : Hints of wild honey, white pepper spice, yellow pear, apricot preserve and barley sugars
- Palate : Caramelised orchard fruits, warm oak, cinnamon spice, grape skin and rich sweet barley.