Founded in 1826, James Allardice built his distillery in the fertile landscape of the Forgue valley and named it ‘GlenDronach’, which means ‘valley of the brambles’ in Scots Gaelic. Allardice was a pioneer of sherry cask maturation and would have celebrated today’s release of The GlenDronach Grandeur Batch 10, an exquisite marriage of some of the oldest and most unique Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso sherry casks from the distillery.
A selection of sherry cask puncheons and butts have been maturing in our traditional dunnage warehouses since the 1960s. It is only some of the most extraordinary and remarkable which have been carefully chosen by our Master Blender, Rachel Barrie, for this special 27-year-old bottling of The GlenDronach Grandeur Batch 10, limited to 2293 bottles.
The GlenDronach Grandeur bottles at 50.1% ABV, is individually numbered by hand and will be available to purchase from specialist whisky stores globally. As a rich and complex Highland Single Malt experience, The GlenDronach Distillery has released this intense sherry expression just in time for Christmas as the ideal accompaniment to the festive season.
“Quietly maturing for over 27 years in the dark of our dunnage warehouses, The GlenDronach Grandeur Batch 10 is undoubtedly a superb expression and a fantastic representation of the smooth, complex and full-bodied style that The GlenDronach Distillery is famous for.” – The GlenDronach, Master Blender Rachel Barrie
- Colour : Intense cherry wood
- Nose : A masterful symphony of ripe damson plum, freshly cracked black walnut and concentrated bramble and apple jam. The scent of old antique leather, truffle oil and cedar cigar box waft seductively,
- as mellow maturity balances the richly sherried sweetness.
- Taste : Exquisite sherry cask maturation combining elegance, richness and complexity. Sip morello cherries in dark chocolate with a crescendo of blackberry jus.
- Finish : Savour black truffle, old-fashioned treacle gingerbread, prune and walnut oil lingering long into the richly satisfying finish.